Thursday, March 17, 2011

Overview

It's been such a long time since I wrote! I don't know what to write about...

I got yelled at on Monday. I felt really silly because I let it get to me. I know I shouldn't have and I won't again. It was the first time I'd really been yelled at since I started at Space Mountain and it'd been a long night. There were 66 thousand Guests in the park. At Christmas time, the very busiest time of year for Disney, we average about 70 thousand. We'd broken down about an hour before and wait times were at about 2 hours and 15 minutes for standby and about 30 for Fastpass. We try to get Fastpass in and out in about 10 minutes. That's how crazy it was. I was on assignment as Mountain 3. That's the position that helps Guests in wheelchairs into and off of the ride. Each time one of those parties comes through it can take us between 5 and 10 minutes for just one of those parties. This is because we wait for that Guest to get completely on the ride, we note the number of the rocket and where in the rocket they're sitting and then we personally wheel the wheelchair downstairs and wait for that Guest to get off the ride. It's usually one of my very favorite positions. We create magic in that position. But Monday night the Mountain was understaffed and there were about 30 parties with wheelchairs. That takes a lot of time. Most of the time when we're that busy Mountain 3 would have an assistant. That night, being understaffed, I had no assistant. I did the best I could as fast as I could but they wait times for that line kept climbing. One woman was angry because she'd been in my line for about 20 minutes. Her daughter had fallen asleep and they no longer wanted to ride and she wanted to see a manager.

So more explaining. We generally have two coordinators. They're like managers but there are lots more of them so that the managers can manage more than one attraction at a time. The coordinators make sure breaks and bump outs(clock outs) happen at the right time. They make sure every one in the attraction is where they're supposed to be. They handle most Guest situations. They take care of situations where ambulances need to be called (aka Alpha Units) They're trained on every position. They have a direct connection with the managers who are on duty. They take care of the smaller manager-type jobs that the managers don't have the time to handle.

Monday night we had two great coordinators. With the mountain so busy there were lots of issues to handle. While the Guest at Load was yelling at me and wanting to see a manager, one coordinator had taken over a Cast Member position within the Mountain so they could have a break and the other was helping an Alpha Unit into the back of the Mountain to help with an emergency. I called the one dealing with the Alpha and then realized he was busy. After a complicated switch I ended up with both Coordinators saving me from several angry Guests along with the one particular angry woman.

Thankfully I was moved soon after the Coordinators got there and thought I'd get a break from angry Guests. I went to Merge Point instead. Merge Point is also one of my favorite positions surprisingly because at first I really didn't like it. Merge Point is where we merge Fastpass Guests and Standby Guests together. There were lots more angry people.

Needless to say, by the time I got my break a half hour after I was switched to Merge I was struggling to stay together. I hate making people wait. I'd love nothing more than to let everyone walk right onto the ride, but there's just no way. The evening did get a little better after that. By the end I was able to smile and wave and wish Guests a good night. I was able to create magic and still make people happy.

Tuesday was my longest shift yet. 13.5 hours. It was fun. Cameron Diaz and Arod (or whatever his name is) came through. That was interesting. I didn't see her. I was on the opposite side of the Mountain, but it's still cool to know that names like that come through.

I had a great day off today. Work tomorrow and then Elder Bednar is coming on Friday and I officially get to go! :D I'm so happy about that.

Goodnight readers. :) Enjoy the "Magic Moments" in your life!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh, you ARE a Magic Moment honey!! :-) I love you so much. Hang in there! You can do this. Not much longer now. And you'll have the memory of a lifetime!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete