Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sounds of the Mountain

A few nights ago I listened as the Mountain stopped working and started working. When we are trained we're told to listen for unusual sounds as the ride runs. At first every thunderously approaching rocket, every creak of the track, every rattle of the chains is an unusual sound. The soundtrack of Space sounds and music adds to the general din and it's hard to tell what is unusual and what is usual. After a week or two the sounds jumble together and you learn what the Mountain sounds like.

The other night I listened as first the vibrating rumbles from the other side of the walls stopped signifying a stop of the lower and main lifts. I listened as the hiss of brakes stopped and the sound of moving lap bars disintegrated. The soundtrack was muted and a different voice came over the intercom handing out information about the issue at hand. Twenty minutes later I listened as the Mountain got back to her feet. The normal thunder began again to the cheering applause of the Guests still in the building.

I love Space Mountain. I first rode the attraction in California. The one here in Florida is different but I fell in love with this one too. I complain about the Guests and I get tired of everything but the magic of Space Mountain is still there. The magic of going into space is what Space Mountain is all about and I love it. I will miss Space Mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment